Christmas is one of the most common times of year when kids ingest potentially harmful substances. Poison control centers are flooded with calls about kids getting into packaging, medicine bottles, eating plants etc. Here are some tips to make sure everyone has a fun and safe holiday season.
5 Tips for the holiday season to keep your little ones safe.
- Have kids and adults wash their hands after preparing meals.
Also, make sure your food is fully cooked so everyone enjoys
a yummy turkey or ham.
- Discard any perishable food left out for more than two hours.
- Decorate with nonpoisonous plants or keep poisonous plants out of reach of children.
- Place parents or grandparents’ medications in a safe secure place from kids. Over 38% of trips to the ER for medicine poisoning is because a child got into their parents or grandparents medicine.
- Assign someone to keep an eye on each child during parties, dinner and get-togethers. “Everyone” assumes “someone” is watching the kids, by assigning someone the task it clears up any confusion and creates a plan to prevent poisonings from occurring.
If you think your child got into something poisonous call Poison Control 1-800-222-1222.